Monday, April 25, 2011

Youth, Age and Cynicism (aka GRUMPY)


No, that isn't me.

I was talking to a friend about why guys can be attracted to younger girls --and I mean teenagers (legal ones). It made me think about how much a person changes over the course of just a few years.

Just then I went roaming around on a forum that I've been frequenting since I was in high school --and I went through all my old threads. My god! I was such a.....happy...person?

Not that I'm a total buzz kill now, but I get healthy doses of cynicism and rage --and I usually vent here.

That said, I was so much more cheerful back then --and ...kinda annoying, but in a pleasant way I guess. I suppose if I was to choose who to hang out with --'grumpy me' or 'young (somewhat stupid) happy me' --I'd probably choose the latter. It really made me think about what kind of person I'm turning into.

I wonder if this is what people mean when they 'lose their youth'. I guess I still look relatively young (except I passed for 12 back then --and 18 now lol), but DAMMIT I feel old. Is that a good thing? Or is it a sign that a person isn't so much growing up --as they are growing irritating? I feel like I'm well on my way to becoming that old man from UP --pre chubby Asian boy.


Still, I also find myself wondering if people don't take me seriously enough sometimes. I kind of waver between two extremes ALL THE TIME. I'm either crazily happy and seemingly mindless at one point, then insanely critical and old-fashioned the next. And when I'm faced with teenagers, I tend to get awfully irritated, even though looking back --I wasn't all that different.

Granted the last 2 years were pretty tough personal-issue wise, but it shouldn't have turned me into such a grouch right?

When did I turn into such a killjoy?

And is it normal? ...Rather, is it right?

Surely this is the fast track towards wrinkling.

No comments:

Post a Comment